Thursday, February 12, 2009

An Atheist Perspective on African Missions - Lutherans Making a Difference!

This article from thetimesonline.co.uk is a fascinating read. One of our themes is "Lutherans Making a Difference." An Atheist comments on the difference he sees when missionaries are involved with the villages and the people of Africa.

Here is a clip from the article.

It inspired me, renewing my flagging faith in development charities. But travelling in Malawi refreshed another belief, too: one I've been trying to banish all my life, but an observation I've been unable to avoid since my African childhood. It confounds my ideological beliefs, stubbornly refuses to fit my world view, and has embarrassed my growing belief that there is no God.

Now a confirmed atheist, I've become convinced of the enormous contribution that Christian evangelism makes in Africa: sharply distinct from the work of secular NGOs, government projects and international aid efforts. These alone will not do. Education and training alone will not do. In Africa Christianity changes people's hearts. It brings a spiritual transformation. The rebirth is real. The change is good.


Read the entire article, you won't be disappointed. timesonline.co.uk

If you haven't had a chance to read through my blog, you might want to look through it. You will see just a slice of the work that people like Pastor & Deaconess Meeker are doing. They are Lutherans Making a Difference.

Thanks to Dr. Rast, Academic Dean, Concordia Theological Seminary for bringing this to my attention through facebook.